What is the best way to use Two Step Login (Okta) when traveling?
It is essential that you plan ahead before departing for your trip and ensure that at least one of the options has been configured and is in your possession. You have several options for Two-Step Login using Okta that will work both within the US and internationally.
- Smartphone or tablet with the Okta Verify app installed: If you have a smartphone that can download the Okta Verify app, and you are NOT going to change your sim card abroad, you can still use the app internationally.
- Smartphone or tablet with Google Authenticator installed (more details here).
Note: modifying a phone, such as replacing the SIM card will break functionality of Okta Verify and Google Authenticator and require that you re-enroll these options.
- Secure Key (Yubikey): If you don't have access to a smartphone or tablet, you can purchase a Yubikey security key (more details here).
- Mobile device with Authy installed: Applications are available for smartphones, Windows and Macintosh computers (more details here).
- Phone with a non-US number: If you have a landline phone or a cell phone from a non-US provider, you will need to select the appropriate country to ensure that it is able to receive the verification call (more details here).
Note: If you do not have any other options enrolled we will need to verify your identity in order to assist you. You must contact the OIT Help Desk during normal business hours (M-F, 8-5) by phone (574-631-8111) or chat (https://servicenow.nd.edu).