Google is enhancing the features of Chat in Gmail by adding Chat Room Workspaces. These workspaces have all the functionality of Chat Rooms messaging with two new additions:
- Quick access to Drive files sent as part of Chat messages
- Create Google Tasks and assign them to Chat Room members
While these workspaces are accessed through Gmail, Chat history will still auto-delete after 180 days on a continual basis to comply with information security best practices. Please see this article for more information.
What do I need to do to have access to Chat Room Workspaces?
If the small team that you are working with or within your team/department chooses to use Chat Room Workspaces, you will need to have Chat enabled in your Gmail settings:
- In Gmail, click the Gear icon.
- In the settings side pane, click the See all settings button.
- Click on the Chat and Meet tab.
- In the Chat option, mark the Google Chat radio button.
- Click Save Changes.
Where can I learn more about Chat and Chat Room Workspaces?