My Computer has encryption turned on, do I need to unencrypt the hard drive before the computer can be serviced?
No. Computers are either encrypted with BitLocker or FileVault, you will not need to deactivate the encryption before taking the computer for service. Encryption keys can and should be included when computers are dropped off to Hammes Tech Hub for service. This is outline in KB0017438.
What do I do with my data before a repair?
There are many situations where the computer may need to be erased, or the internal drive might need replaced during a repair. You should always try to have data backed up before sending a computer in for service. Hammes Hub does have data backup services described in KB0017343. If a computer is erased during repair, it will come back either without an operating system, or most likely the operating system the computer shipped with. If the computer had the university image before service, the computer will need to be imaged again. The centralized build process can be used to rebuild University owned Lenovo and Apple computers.
What options are available when servicing Apple Computers?
1. Take the Computer to the Hammes Tech Hub. Hammes Tech Hub services Apple computers that are in warranty as well outside of warranty.
2. Local Apple Store will provide support as well at www.getsupport.apple.com
What options are there to get a Lenovo Computer serviced?
1. Take the Computer to the Hammes Tech Hub. Hammes Tech Hub services Lenovo computers that are in warranty as well outside of warranty.
2. Lenovo On-Site Service. Lenovo offers Services calls for all computers that are in Warranty. To start an On-Site Service Call go to https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/warrantylookup
How do I contact Hammes Hub’s computer service area?
The phone number to contact them is (574) 631-0549.
What will be the service hours of operation?
Normal business hours will be Monday thru Friday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM. Check-ins will be accepted during all normal business hours of the bookstore.
What forms of payment are accepted?
Cash and credit card can be accepted for repairs on personally owned computers. Departmental charges using a FOAPL may be used for University owned computers.
When Servicing Machines with Hammes Hub what sort of information will you be required in regards to contact information and how will that be recorded?
Information gathered from the end user is first name, last name, email address, telephone number, the serial number of the machine as the minimum. The mailing address is optional. Data will be stored on a web server connected to our LAN.
What options are available when servicing Dell Branded Computers?
1. Take the Computer to the Hammes Tech Hub. Hammes Tech Hub services Dell computers that are in warranty as well outside of warranty.
2. Go to the Dell Computer Support Page: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04.