About Apple Mobile Device Updates
For iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch
To check what operating system you have installed, go to Settings > General > About and look for iOS, iPadOS, or watchOS Version. The OIT recommends that all Apple mobile devices be upgraded to the most recent version of their respective operating systems for improved performance, security and functionality. The OIT will does not fully support Apple mobile devices that are not running or able to run the latest major release of their respective operating system.
Before installing any software updates
- Be sure to check for and install updates to your individual applications
- Backup your device following the instructions below
- Also remember to have the device fully charged or plugged in while preforming the update
- Ensure you have any stored passwords available. You may be prompted to re-enter any previously saved passwords after an upgrade is applied
- Once an update has been applied, it may not be possible to downgrade to a previous version
The OIT provides basic support for current model Apple mobile devices (generally 2 years old or newer) to enable users to connect to the ND wireless network, to access ND Google email and calendaring services, and any central IT service designed for mobile devices. For additional support, please contact your hardware vendor, cell phone carrier, or the provider of the software application.
We strongly recommend running a backup of your device before installing any software updates to keep your data safe. The OIT recommends utilizing iCloud for backups.
- You can back up to iCloud from the device itself by going to Settings > Your Name> iCloud > iCloud Backup > then turn iCloud Backup to ON. This will turn on automatic backups. To create a fresh backup, click Backup Now.
- While not recommended, backups to a Mac or Windows PC can be made. See this guide for more information.
- Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
- Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
- If you see two software update options available, choose the one that you want to install.
- Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now.